Early records of Glanwydden
The earliest record of the village date from a royal charter granted in 1580 by the Wynne family, for the construction of a windmill and storage house. The mill which stands next door to the pub, fell into disuse in the late industrial era, when steam powered mills in Manchester and Liverpool superseded most wind powered flour production. Local stories say the sails for the mill fell off during the later days of the first world war killing a pig. The mill was then plundered for its stone for local buildings. Only the base part of the mill remained and was used as a sheep fold by local farmers. In the 1980s the Windmill way sympathetically restored and is now a family home. There is still evidence of its working past in the gardens of the house with three large pieces of mill stone uncovered and on display.